After Tabouli, Crunchy fattoush salad is the most well-known salad in the middle east. There are many ways fattoush can be made and presented. Some people use more ingredients than others. But what differentiates fattoush from any other salad is the fried bread that is combined with fresh herbs and vegetables. What I love about this particular fattoush salad is the flavours of the sumac and spices in the dressing and of course the crunchiness of the bread.
Do you want this salad to be a complete meal? Check out my Roasted Chickpea & Hummus salad. It’s perfect when you have leftover hummus and you want to keep your weeknight meal simple, healthy, and satisfying.
Remember though, this salad is all about the crunchy bread!
- 1 pocket Arabic bread
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon Sumac
- 2 tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 large Lebanese cucumber quartered lengthways and chopped
- ¼ each colour capsicum- yellow, red, green roughly chopped
- 4 radishes cut into half and thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs spring onion chopped
- 4 large cos lettuce leaves roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup mint leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley coarsely chopped (firmly packed)
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon sumac
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- cracked black pepper
- pinch of white pepper
- salt to season
*If your guests prefer no bread in their salad, serve it on the side.
*Placing tomato into a strainer helps the juice runs through, preventing your salad from becoming watery.
Cut bread into 2-3cm squares using kitchen scissors. Heat oil and fry bread until golden. Place on a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with sumac while still hot so that the sumac sticks onto the bread, toss to evenly coat the bread.
Roughly chop the tomatoes and place into a strainer so that the juice runs through. Prepare all salad ingredients and combine together in a large bowl.
Place all ingredients for the dressing in a jar, season with salt, and shake well. Pour over chopped vegetables and mix. Place sumac fried bread over the top or toss it through the salad.
Sahtan – Enjoy In Good Health