Caramelised onion and walnut potato bake is my modern version of the traditional kibbet batata. With the addition of walnuts and raisins, this dish has a smooth taste of herbed spicy potatoes.
Originally, the dish has cracked wheat in it. However, you can create a vegan and gluten-free version by simply substituting the cracked wheat with 1 cup of quinoa flour.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 cup of cracked wheat soaked in ½ cup of water
- 2 onions sliced into rings
- ¾ cup walnut roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Potato Mixture Paste
- ¾ cup basil leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 1 onion
- 1 red chili long
- 2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Bharat
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- salt to season
Notes from Rouba
- Arabian spice is my blend known in the Middle East as the 7-spice blend. You can find it at Middle Eastern grocery stores and various supermarkets.
- If the bowl of your processor is too big for the paste quantity, you can add one boiled potato to better combine.
- If the potato mixture is too sticky, moisten your hands occasionally with water.
- For a gluten-free version, substitute the cracked wheat with 1 cup of quinoa flour but do not soak or blend the quinoa flour in the food processor.
Place the unpeeled potatoes in a saucepan over high heat and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for approximately 25 minutes or until cooked through and they’ve become tender. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the skin (you have to keep the potatoes dry, so avoid peeling them under running water).
Combine all the paste ingredients in a food processor and blend to a somewhat smooth paste. Add the peeled potatoes and blend for just a few seconds. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Add the soaked cracked wheat and blend until well combined. Remove (moisten your hands with water if you need to).
For the gluten-free version, do not blend the quinoa flour. Simply remove the potato and paste mixture and fold in the quinoa flour by hand.
Grease an oven roasting pan (approximately 33 x 23 cm) with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, brushing the sides generously. In a bowl, combine the onions rings, walnuts, raisins with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Scatter the mixture at the base of the oiled roasting pan.
Divide the herbed potato mixture into 6 portions and dot one at a time over the onion mixture spreading evenly with oiled hands. Flatten and smooth over into the pan. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes.
Servings: serves 8-12
Why you will love this recipe: