Tabouli is the king of salads in the Middle East followed by crunchy fattoush salad. A simple, delicious salad made with only 5 ingredients. Eat it alone with cos or iceberg lettuce. It also tastes wonderful with fresh tender vine leaves if they are in season.
Tabouli will complement almost all meat dishes and is perfect for barbecues. However, it’s a finely chopped salad so be patient with it.
- 1 ½ tablespoon cracked wheat (fine)
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 4 bunches flat-leaf parsley (small)
- ½ bunch mint leaves
- 4 spring onions
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 tablespoons of lemon juice
- salt to season
Notes from Rouba
- Don’t chop the parsley bunch as a whole. Perhaps chop only a half or a third of the bunch at once as it gives you more control with chopping.
- If you have a good food processor, you could try chopping your parsley in it. I would advise not to chop it too fine if using the processor as the parsley will get watery. Chop the rest of the ingredients by hand though.
- Use only flat-leaf parsley as it has more flavour and it is finer when chopped. The curly variety is mainly to garnish, in my opinion.
- Most people will soak the cracked wheat in hot water but the tip here is to use the tomatoes as shown below. The cracked wheat will absorb the juice and flavour. If you are not keen on cracked wheat, check out my quinoa tabouli version.
Place cracked wheat in a bowl. Finely chop the tomatoes and place them over the cracked wheat. This will moisten and add flavour to the cracked wheat.
Finely chop the parsley, mint and spring onion and place over the tomatoes.
Dress in olive oil, lemon, and season with salt. Mix well.
Servings: serves 4 people
Why you will love this salad:
What to serve alongside this salad?
OR keep it vegan and pair it with