Easy crab soldiers are a great party food. This simple recipe of thick slices of sourdough topped with a creamy crab mixture can be your next new year’s starter or the perfect finger food for your Easter feast.
- 10 slices of sourdough or baguette bread (2½ -3 cm thick) crust removed
- 200 grams of white crabmeat
- olive oil
- 1½ tablespoon horseradish
- ¼ cup Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1½ tablespoon hot chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- cracked pepper
- spring onion to garnish
Step 1 – Drizzle the bread with olive oil. Toast or griddle the sourdough on both sides.
Once golden, grate parmesan cheese on one side of the bread.
Step 2 – Mix the crabmeat, horseradish, mayonnaise, chilli sauce, and lemon juice. Spoon the mixture onto the toasted bread, then top each with spring onion. Season with cracked pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
Serve while the sourdough is still crisp.
- If the bread is doughy, be generous when drizzling the olive oil.
- If the only crab meat available is preserved in vinegar, simply wash it under cold running water and drain.
- Use good quality mayonnaise, here I’m suggesting kewpie.
If you love hors-d’oeuvres, these are a must-try: